What is making me happy this week is Earth Hour. We are only days away from the ninth staging of the event on the 28th March and the excitement is building.
Working in the Earth Hour global team it is great to see over 172 countries and territories coming together to focus on our planet and the climate.
It has been exciting over the past weeks to watch the number of visitors to our website have steady increased, it is going to be another big year for Earth Hour.
Every day the team hear about initiatives within the Earth Hour and WWF networks from legislative changes, to cleaning beaches through to groups enjoying a candlelit dinner with someone they love, individuals and organisations have embraced Earth Hour as there own.
It is amazing how the world has united behind this one simple act started in Sydney in 2007 of switching off the lights for one hour has achieved so much over the years.
During Earth Hour night, our global Earth Hour team have to be available for all 24 of the 1 hour session, I will be working from 9pm to 9am. While coffee will help me get through the night, the excitement and energy of the global community will keep me going.
If you have not thought about Earth Hour until now, here is a few simple things you can do:
- Switch off the lights in your house from 8:30-9:30pm local time on the 28th March;
- Visit the Earth Hour website and find out what events happening in your area
- Take action, help fund a project or sign an online petition to help make a sustainable future;
- Join the movement and keep up to date on activities that are happening through the Earth Hour movement throughout the year.
- Have some fun and watch the Durex video.
So join me and switch off your lights this Saturday night and use the power of the hour to make a difference on the planet.
Happy Earth Hour.